2014 Salem Town Warrant Articles
How the Deliberative Session Works:
- Registered voters will check in and enter the auditorium.
- The School District Moderator will welcome everyone, do introductions, and review the meeting rules.
- After preliminary information is reviewed, the moderator will introduce the Budget Committee Chair who will announce the committee's proposed operating budget.
- The the moderator will introduce a School Board representative who will review the School Board's proposed budget.
- A School Board member will likely submit a written motion to revise the proposed budget by some figure.
- There will be debate and then a motion to "call the question". The people present in the auditorium will then offer a "yeah" or "nay" on the motion to restore the funds.
- For each article there will be debate, more for some articles than others but all need support, and then a motion to "call the question". The people present in the auditorium will offer a "yeah" or "nay" on the motion to restore funds.
- Following the vote, and depending on the outcome, the moderator will then proceed through each article.
Things You Should Know:
- You must be a registered voter in order to participate.
- The meeting can last for two or three hours depending on the length of the debate.
- The budget voted at the Deliberative Session is the budget figure that appears on teh ballot in March.
- At the Deliberative Session any voter can propose amendments to further reduce the operating budget. There is no limit to the cuts that can be made.
- The voters at the Deliberative Session are limited to increasing the Budget by no more than 10%.
- The Deliberative Session is the only remaining opportunity to restore funds cut by the Budget Committee.